Garbanzo Bean And Tahini Burgers
- 1 can garbanzo beans, chickpeas - (15 to 16 oz) rinsed, drained
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 pita bread rounds warmed, and halved horizontally
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
Using fork, coarsely mash 3/4 cup garbanzo beans in medium bowl. Mix in onion and next 3 ingredients. Puree remaining garbanzo beans, egg white, tahini and garlic in processor until almost smooth. Stir into mashed garbanzo bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)
If grilling, spray grill rack with nonstick spray, then prepare barbecue (medium heat). If sautéing, spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Lightly spray patties on both sides with nonstick spray. Place patties on grill or in skillet and cook until golden brown and heated through, about three minutes per side.
Meanwhile, mix yogurt, hot pepper sauce and cumin in small bowl.
Place burgers in pita halves. Top with lettuce, tomatoes and yogurt.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 242; total fat, 4 g; saturated fat, 0.5 g; cholesterol, 0.