Feta, Cucumber And Spinach Pita Sandwiches
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped English hothouse cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 package baby spinach - (6 oz)
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese - (abt 3 oz)
- 4 pita breads halved crosswise
Mix yogurt, garlic and cayenne in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)
Mix cucumber, sun-dried tomatoes, green onion, mint, vinegar and oil in large bowl. Stir in spinach and feta cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand while preparing pita bread.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap pita breads in foil. Place in oven until heated through, about 10 minutes. Fill pita halves with cucumber mixture. Spoon some of yogurt dressing into each pita half. Serve, passing remaining yogurt dressing separately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 276; total fat, 6 g; saturated fat, 3 g; cholesterol, 17 mg.