Fava Bean And Spring Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and pale green parts only thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled carrot
- 4 1/2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups shelled fresh fava beans (abt 2 lbs unshelled) (or a 10-oz pkg frozen baby lima beans, thawed)
- 5 ounces green beans trimmed, and cut into 1" pieces
- 8 ounces asparagus tough ends trimmed, and spears cut diagonally into 1" pieces
- 2/3 cup thinly-sliced fresh basil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and carrot; sauté until vegetables are tender but not brown, about 8 minutes.
Add broth and bring to boil. Add favas and green beans and simmer until almost tender, about 8 minutes.
Add asparagus and 1/3 cup basil and simmer until all vegetables are very tender, about 7 minutes longer. Season soup with salt and pepper. Stir in 1/3 cup basil.
Ladle soup into bowls. Serve, passing Parmesan separately, if desired.
This recipe yields 6 first-course servings.
Per serving: calories, 150; total fat, 2 g; saturated fat, 0.5 g; cholesterol, 0.