Eggplant And Portobello Lasagnas, Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette
- 1 pound plum tomatoes quartered
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely-chopped fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 4 large Japanese eggplants trimmed, each cut
- lengthwise into four 1/3"-thk slices
- 3 medium portobello mushrooms stems trimmed, and caps sliced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups spinach leaves rinsed
- 4 thin slices low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 roasted red bell peppers from jar drained, and cut into 1/2"-wide strips
- 8 large basil leaves
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange tomatoes and fennel in 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Drizzle oil over; toss to blend. Bake until fennel is tender and begins to brown, about 45 minutes. Cool.
Spray 2 nonstick baking sheets with vegetable oil spray. Arrange eggplant and mushroom slices on prepared sheets. Bake until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes for eggplant slices and 40 minutes for mushrooms.
Puree tomato mixture in processor. Transfer to strainer set over bowl. Press on solids to extract liquid; discard solids. Stir vinegar into liquid. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
Stir spinach in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray four 1 1/4-cup custard dishes with vegetable oil spray. Line each dish with 2 eggplant slices in crisscross pattern. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top each with 1/4 of spinach. Top each with 1 mozzarella slice. Arrange pepper strips over, then basil and mushrooms. Top with remaining eggplant slices, cutting to fit. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover each dish with foil. (Vinaigrette and lasagnas can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill.)
Bake lasagnas until very tender, about 25 minutes. Remove foil. Using small knife, cut around vegetables to loosen. Invert onto plates. Spoon vinaigrette over.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 163; total fat, 6g; saturated fat, 1g; cholesterol, 4mg.