Stir-fried Asparagus with Shiitaki Mushrooms
- 2 2 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 1 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1 1 Tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 2 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 2 2 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 1 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1 2-inch pound asparagus, trimmed and cut on bias into 2-inch lengths
- 4 4 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thin
- 2 2 2 scallions, green parts only, sliced thin on bias
Adapted from americastestkitchen.com
NOTE FROM THE TEST KITCHEN To allow it to brown, stir the asparagus only occasionally. Look for spears that are no thicker than ½ inch.
1. Combine water, soy sauce, sherry, sugar, ginger, and sesame oil in bowl.
2. Heat vegetable oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking. Add asparagus and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is spotty brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add soy sauce mixture and cook, stirring once or twice, until pan is almost dry and asparagus is crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to serving platter, sprinkle with scallion greens, and serve.
Just Add Water
For spears that are well browned and crisp-tender, stir-fry them first and then steam them in a sauce diluted with water.