Zucchini Noodle Skillet Lasagna
- 1/2 - 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey (omit if you want to keep this a meatless dish)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 5-6 Medium Zucchinis, peeled
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes (I recommend San Marzano or fire-roasted tomatoes)
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of fresh chopped basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup low-fat ricotta cheese for garnish, optional
- sprinkle of parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
- Optional add-ins
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup water, reserved as needed
Adapted from lifemadesweeter.com
Spiralize zucchini using the ribbon blade or a vegetable peeler; set aside. Pat dry with a paper towel. (This step can be done up to 3 days in advance. Simply store zoodles in an airtight container with a paper towel to help absorb excess moisture.)
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add in the ground meat and cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes, making sure to crumble and break down into small pieces as it cooks; drain excess fat.
Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds to a minute or until fragrant. Add mushrooms and optional chopped zucchini, if using and saute for 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, red pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon of basil. Bring to a boil and reduce heat allowing to simmer. Stir constantly until sauce begins to thicken (about 5 minutes).
Add the ribboned zucchini noodles and cover with lid.
After 2 minutes, remove cover, swirl the zucchini around using tongs to avoid sticking to the pan.
Continue cooking until zucchini is tender (another 2-5 minutes). If adding spinach, stir in after 3 minutes and cover.
Remove from heat and stir in mozzarella and cottage cheese. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Top with dollops of ricotta cheese. Cover with pan and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Remove from stove and sprinkle with chopped parsley, basil and parmesan cheese if desired.
Add water as needed if the sauce is evaporating.
*If zucchini is letting out too much water, mix 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 2 teaspoon of cold water in a small cup. Add to the pan before adding the cottage cheese. Bring to a boil to allow sauce to thicken up. Add cottage cheese as directed above.
You'll also love
- Cajun Sausage 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Chicken Trinidad with Orange Rum... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Chili Bruschetta with Tomatoes and... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- CORNED BEEF HASH 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Zucchini Spaghetti with Sun Gold... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Buttery Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Curry Sunchoke, Zucchini and... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Chill-Chaser Noodle Soup 5/5 (2 Votes)