Maryland Crab Dip
Keep this quick crab dip recipe as simple as possible, its all about the crab. You could cook crab dip in the oven and when serving put into a bread bowl. This is my recipe edited from an already on line version.
- 1 (8-ounce) white crab meat, drained (use backfin or lump crab meat, gently picked through for shell.) I use two cans of lump or one pound of fresh or pasteurized lump or backfin crab meat.
- 1 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (8-ounce) package good quality sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 small white onion, minced (or 1 teaspoon onion powder)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
In a large bowl, stir to combine all ingredients except crab meat. Gently fold in crab meat.
Pour into baking dish and bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly brown. (Can also just put in a crock pot, and cook on low for an hour, gently stirring once or twice.)
I serve with mild club crackers or sliced french bread.
Tips: Buying Crab Meat for a Crab Dip
There are two basic kinds of crab meat available in supermarkets. Lump crab meat has a light color and mild flavor. Claw meat tends to be darker in color and have a stronger flavor that works well in stews and heavy soups-- but is not the best choice for crab dip.
Canned or Frozen Crab? Frozen crab is usually the best in quality and taste. But does your budget limit you to canned crab? The best canned crab for a crab dip is plain white crab. The more expensive lump crab meat will get broken apart as you prepare most crab dips, so the benefit of having lumps of crab will be lost.
You'll also love
- Berry Cheesecake Bites 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Janet's Orange Zucchini Bread 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Teriyaki Sesame Chicken 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Linquine with Shrimp 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Garlic Shrimp Supreme 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Cottage Cheese Spinach Dip 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Steamed Crab Legs 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Crab Dip 4.5/5 (2 Votes)