- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots (about 2 large)
- 3 tbsp. extra vigin olive oil
- 1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes (2 large or 3 medium) unpeeled and scrubbed
- 1 heaping tsp. very lightly chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup finely grated Gruyere
Combine the shallots and the oil in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce to a low simmer, cook the shallots until nicely softened (don't let them brown) about 2 mins. Remove from the heat and let cool completely
Heat the oven to 400. Spray the tart pan and place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.
Slice the potatoes as thinly as possible. Put the slices in a mixing bowl, add the shallots and olive oil along with the herbs and toss well to thoroughly coat the potatoes(use a rubber spatula)
Cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of potato slices, overlappin slightly. Sprinkle with salt and then sprinkle with the cheeses. Repeat.
Bake until the top is a reddish golden brown and the potatoes are tender in all places about 45-50 mins. Let cool for 10-15 mins.