Whipped Sweet Potatoes With Brown Sugar-Pecan Topping
- FOR SWEET POTATOES:
- 22 ounces red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams) peeled, and cut into 1" pieces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter - (3/4 stick) room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pinch salt
- FOR TOPPING:
- 1 1/2 cups cornflakes crushed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter - (3/4 stick) melted
Make Sweet Potatoes: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook sweet potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; transfer potatoes to large bowl and add butter. Using electric mixer, beat until smooth. Add egg, sugar, spice and salt; beat to blend.
Transfer mixture to 8- by 8-inch baking dish. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.) Bake potatoes until beginning to brown around edges and slightly puffed, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare Topping: Mix together all ingredients in medium bowl. Spoon topping evenly over potatoes. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes longer.
This recipe yields 6 servings.