Simple Beef Chili with Kidney Beans
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions
- 1 red bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/4 Cup chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 Teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 Teaspoon red pepper flakes *
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Pounds 85 percent lean ground beef * *
- 2 (15-ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree * * *
- table salt
- 2 limes
Chop 2 onions fine. (You should have about 2 cups.) Stem and seed 1 red bell pepper, then cut into ½-inch cubes. Mince 6 garlic cloves. (You should have about 2 tablespoons.) Drain and rinse 2 (15-ounce) cans red kidney beans. Cut 2 limes into wedges.
Brown Vegetables and Beef
Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions, bell pepper, garlic, ¼ cup chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, 2 teaspoons coriander, 1 teaspoon pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and ½ teaspoon cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high and add 1 pound ground beef. Cook, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink and just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add remaining 1 pound ground beef. Cook, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add beans, 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, 1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree, and ½ teaspoon salt.. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove cover. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender and chili is rich, dark, and slightly thickened, about 1 hour. (If chili sticks to pot, stir in ½ cup water.). Season with salt to taste. Serve with lime wedges.
You'll also love
- Classic Macaroni and Cheese 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Umami-Crusted Pork Roast 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple-Cranberry Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken Rollatini with Spinach... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Short-Rib Beef Stew with Ale 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Perfect Roast Beef 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Big-Batch Mexican Bean & Lentil... 0/5 (0 Votes)