Spicy Peanut Dip
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 cup canned low-salt chicken broth or more if needed
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter do not use
- old-fashioned or freshly ground
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar - (packed)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, ginger and garlic; sauté until shallot is tender, about 3 minutes. Add curry powder and crushed red pepper. Stir until aromatic, about 15 seconds. Stir in 1 cup broth, peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce, and brown sugar; whisk to blend. Simmer until mixture thickens, whisking constantly, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer to bowl and cool, whisking occasionally. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.) Thin dip with more broth by tablespoonfuls if needed. Serve dip chilled or at room temperature.
This recipe yields about 1 1/3 cups.