Grilled Chicken Cacciatore W/Spaghetti Squash
Serving: 2 cups squash; 1 cup chicken mixture; 1 tsp Parmesan) 374 Cal; 7 g fat; 48 g carbs; 11 g protein
- 6 4-p boneless,skinless chicken breasts cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large oven, sliced
- 2 cups frozen mixed bell peppers
- 10 oz sliced baby portobellos mushrooms
- 1 25.46-pz chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 tsp low-sodium tomato paste
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 to 3 springs fresh rosemary
- 6 lb spaghetti squash (2-3 large squash)
- 6 tbsp grated low-fat Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped or whole fresh basil, optional
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from thechew.com
One: Sprinkle salt and pepper on all sides of chicken dividing evenly. In large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium. Add one-third of chicken to skillet in single layer and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side until lightly browned. Transfer to 4-to-6 qt slow cooker. Working in batches, repeat with remaining 2 tsp oil and chicken.
Two: To slow cooker, add onion, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, vinegar, garlic, oregano and pepper flakes. Stir to combine and nestle rosemary on surface. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Three: Pierce squash skin with fork in 5 places. Micro wave on a paper towel for 10 - 12 minutes. Remove, cut in half, remove seeds, scrape stringy flesh from skin, separating into strands. Divide among dishes
Four: Remove and discard rosemary. Stir mixture and spoon over top of squash. Garnish with cheese and basil.
Make ahead: Prepare Step 3 the night before or up to 2 days before serving. Transfer to large bowl, cover and refrigerate.