Smoked Sausage Cassoulet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 pounds assorted fully-cooked smoked sausages (such as kielbasa and andouille)
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large leeks, white and pale green parts thinly sliced
- 6 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 medium apple peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with roasted
- garlic in juice - (14 1/2 oz ea)
- 3 cans Great Northern beans - (15 oz ea) drained, with
- liquid reserved
- 1 package frozen baby lima beans - (10 oz) thawed
- 1 cup canned chicken broth or more if needed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups diced country-style bread
- 1 pound tomatoes seeded, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium heat. Add sausages; sauté until brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer to plate and cut into 1/2-inch rounds.
Add leeks and garlic to same pot. Sauté until beginning to soften, about 8 minutes. Mix in apple, rosemary and sage. Add brandy and simmer until almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. Mix in canned tomatoes with juices, canned beans with 1/2 cup reserved liquid, lima beans, 1 cup broth, tomato paste and cloves. Add sausages. Season with pepper.
Bring cassoulet to boil. Cover pot and transfer to preheated oven; bake 30 minutes. (Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Uncover; cool 1 hour. Refrigerate until cold; cover and keep refrigerated. Before continuing, rewarm in covered pot in 350 degree oven 40 minutes, adding more broth if dry.)
Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add bread and sauté until golden brown, stirring often, about 25 minutes. Combine fresh tomatoes and parsley in large bowl; mix in bread. Season topping with salt and pepper. Spoon onto warm cassoulet. Bake uncovered 15 minutes longer.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.