Ricotta Stuffed Squash Blossoms in Tomato Sauce
Talk about flower power. As every gardener knows, late summer brings a bumper crop of zucchini and, better yet, of zucchini blossoms—known in Italy as fiori di zucca. Here, the tender yellow-orange blooms are filled with ricotta, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and mint, then batter-fried. Served alongside an easy tomato sauce (dip as you like), they make an irresistible first course or, with the addition of a green salad, a satisfying main.
- TOMATO SAUCE:
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pound plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- SQUASH BLOSSOMS:
- 1 cup fresh whole-milk ricotta
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup mint, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, divided
- 12 to 16 large zucchini squash blossoms
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chilled seltzer or club soda
- 3 About 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from epicurious.com
Cook garlic and red pepper flakes in oil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until garlic is golden, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, water, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.
Stir together ricotta, yolk, mint, 1/3 cup parmesan, and 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
Carefully open each blossom and fill with about 2 rounded teaspoon ricotta filling, gently twisting end of blossom to enclose filling. (You may have filling left over.)
Whisk together flour, remaining 1/3 cup parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and seltzer in a small bowl.
Heat 1/2 inch oil to 375°F in a 10-inch heavy skillet. Meanwhile, dip half of blossoms in batter to thinly coat. Fry coated blossoms, turning once, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes total. Transfer with tongs to paper towels to drain. Coat and fry remaining blossoms. (Return oil to 375°F between batches.) Season with salt. Serve with tomato sauce.
You'll also love
- Quick Ratatouille 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Fries 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Meatball-Filled Summer Squash Boats 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Crustless Smoked Turkey & Spinach... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Salt & Vinegar Zucchini Chips 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Sugar-Free Sweet & Sour Tomato Dip 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Braised Chicken With Tomatoes,... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Winter Escarole, Pear & Walnut... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)