Mini Meatball Casserole
- 3/4 pounds Italian Sausage
- 3/4 pounds Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup Regular Oats
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 whole Egg, Beaten
- 1/4 cup Minced Fresh Parsley
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 can (28 Ounce) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can (8 Ounces) Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 cups Hot Water
- 12 leaves Basil
- 12 ounces, weight Ziti Pasta, Cooked To Al Dente
- 16 ounces, weight Fresh Mozzarella, Cut Into Large Cubes
In a bowl, mix together the sausage, beef, oats, 1/2 of the Parmesan, egg, half the parsley, and salt and pepper until well combined. Form into small meatballs (about 1/2 inch) and brown in batches in a skillet over medium heat. Remove the meatballs from the pan and drain.
Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, salt and pepper, sugar, and water. Stir and bring to a simmer, then add in the meatballs and continue simmering for 20 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and allow it to cool. Stir in the basil once cool.
In a casserole dish, add half the pasta, half the mozzarella cubes, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and half the meatball sauce. Repeat with another layer, ending with the meatball sauce. Cover with foil and either refrigerate for up to 2 days, or bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Serve piping hot!