Homemade Breakfast Sausage and Gravy
- For the sausage:
- 1 lb ground pork sausage, unflavored
- 1 teaspoon ground sage or poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (more or less according to your taste) red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For the gravy:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups (or so) milk--skim/low fat is just fine
- 1/2 teaspoon (or so) black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (or so) salt
- For serving
- buiscuts, the refrigerated variety is fine
Adapted from mrsschwartzkitchen.blogspot.com
To begin, combine the sausage and seasonings. Mix just until combined, form into patties including one tiny patty. Take the little patty and place in a preheated skillet (cast iron works perfectly for this whole dish--minus the biscuits) on medium-high heat. Cook the little patty for just a few minutes or until it is no longer pink in the middle. Taste for seasoning, if it needs more spice, add red pepper flakes/black pepper. If it tastes awesome, cook the remaining sausage patties for about 3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink in the middle. Remove from the pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
Add the butter to the pan (still on medium-high heat) and let it melt. Once melted, add the flour, stirring with a whisk. Cook and stir for about 3 minutes. While continuing to stir, add the milk slowly until you have reached your desired consistency. Keep in mind the gravy will thicken as it heats through and sits.
Top biscuit with a sausage patty, pour on the gravy and enjoy!