Potato Salad with Apples and Bacon
- 5 thick strips bacon
- 1 large red or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 3 pounds small yellow Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, including the greens
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
Combine the potatoes and enough cold water to cover by a couple of inches in a large saucepan. Add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain well.
While the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon in a heavy-based skillet over medium heat. Once cooked, remove the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Reserve the bacon fat in the pan. Once the bacon is cool, chop it.
Cook the onion in the fat in the pan on medium heat, until softened and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onion from the pan to a large bowl, set aside. Add the chopped apple to the bowl.
Add the potatoes and chopped bacon to the onions and apple. Add the green onions, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and thyme. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve either warm, room temperature, or cold.
You'll also love
- Mustard-and-Mayonnaise Glazed... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beef Barbacoa 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Braided Lemon Bread 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Mexican Chorizo with Spicy... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Orange Sesame Noodles 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pork Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bacon and Blue Cheeseburger Potato... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream, Salty Popped... 0/5 (0 Votes)