Tomato, Squash & Red Pepper Gratin
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 pound yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3 ounces aged Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 ounces French bread baguette, torn
- 1 (12-ounce) beefsteak tomato, seeded and cut into 8 slices
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes. Add bell pepper; cook 2 minutes. Add squash and garlic; cook 4 minutes. Place vegetable mixture in a large bowl. Stir in quinoa, 1/4 cup basil, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper.
3. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, milk, cheese, and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to vegetable mixture, stirring until just combined. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
4. Place bread in a food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add breadcrumbs; cook 3 minutes or until toasted. Arrange tomatoes evenly over vegetable mixture. Top evenly with breadcrumbs. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until topping is browned. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup basil.