- 3/4 lb (about 2 cups) baking potatoes, grated medium coarse
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 TBS flour
- 1 /& tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1. Combine potatoes and onion in a colander, pressing out as much moisture as possible.
2. Stir potato mixture with eggs, salt, pepper, flour and baking powder. Let stand for 5 minutes.
3. In heavy skillet, melt butter, add oil (about 1/4" deep). Heat to near smoking.
4. Drop potato mixture into skillet in 2 TBS portions, use a wooden spoon to slightly flatten each one. Don't make them too thin, don't let them touch. Fry for 2" or until golden brown. Flip and fry 1 minute more. Remove with slotted spoon, drain paper towel.