24-Hour Tex Mex Salad
- 6 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 1 15 - ounce can black beans, black-eyed peas or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 10 - ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup chopped red, green, and/or yellow sweet pepper
- 1 cup peeled shredded carrot
- 1 cup diced cooked ham or chicken
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 4 ounces pepper Jack cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 8 - ounce carton sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup diced radishes
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
Adapted from Midwestliving.com
Place 3 cups of the lettuce in the bottom of a 3-quart clear salad bowl (or divide it among eight bowls or jars). Layer ingredients in the following order: black beans, tomatoes, frozen corn, sweet pepper, carrot, remaining lettuce, ham, green onions and cheese.
For Dressing: In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, sour cream and chili powder. Spoon dressing over salad, sealing to edge of bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 6 to 24 hours.
To serve, garnish with radish slices and sprinkle with cilantro. Toss lightly to coat evenly to serve.