Fried Fish Marinated in Garlic, Vinegar, Oregano, and Cumin
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves, finely crumbled
- 2 pounds skinless halibut fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Olive oil (for frying)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Lemon wedges
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Whisk vinegar, garlic, oregano, thyme, cumin, and bay leaves in medium bowl to blend. Add fish and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour or cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
Heat enough oil to come 1/2 inch up sides of pan in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Place flour in large bowl. Remove fish from marinade. Toss fish in flour, then shake off excess. Working in batches, fry fish until cooked through and brown all over, turning occasionally with tongs, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to platter. Serve warm or at room temperature with lemon wedges.