cheesy sausage broccoli and quinoa casserole
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup shopped carrot
- 4 (40z) links sweet chicken Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 6 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme divided
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Bring 2 1/2 cups water and quinoa to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduceheat; cover and simmer 12 to 14 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, and sausage; cook 7 minutes, stirring to crumble sausage. Remove sausage mixture to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
Add flour, butter, and garlic to drippings in pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add milk and stock; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly, with a whisk. Reduce heat to medium; stir in broccoli, 2 teaspoons thyme, 3/8 teaspoon salt, 3/8 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Stir in quinoa and sausage mixture.
Coat 2 (8inch) square ceramic baking dishes with cooking spray. Divide quinoa mixture between dishes. Combine remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and panko in a bowl, add remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, remaining 1/8 teaspoon sal , remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and cheddar. Sprinkle cheese mixture evenly over casseroles. Bake at 400 for 18 minutes or until browned, or follow freezing instruction.
Freeze: Cool unbaked casseroles completely; cover lightly with aluminum foil.. Freeze up to 2 months.
Thaw: Remove foil. Microwave at HIGH 20 minutes or until thawed.
Reheat: cover with foil and bake t 375 forr 25 minutes; then broil 5 minutes or until golden brown.
You'll also love
- peach and sea salt ice cream 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Corn Pudding 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spinach & Artichoke Panini 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken Breast With Garlic... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- LAMB CHOPS STICKY W/ CAULIFLOWER 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Loaded Broccoli Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta, Ziti with Italian Sausage... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Broccoli Cauliflower Bacon Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)