Herbed Game Hens With Radicchio And Truffle Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 Cornish game hens each quartered
- 2 heads radicchio each cut into 6
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup beef stock or canned beef broth
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon white truffle oil see * Note
* Note: Available at Italian markets, specialty foods stores and some supermarkets.
Mix herbs, 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup shallots in bowl. Place hens in large resealable bag. Add herb oil and seal; shake well. Chill overnight.
Place radicchio on large rimmed baking sheet. Whisk balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup olive oil in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pour all but 1/4 cup marinade over radicchio, turning to coat. Let stand 3 hours.
Boil stock, 1/4 cup shallots and reserved 1/4 cup marinade in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6 minutes. Add lemon peel. Cool. Add truffle oil. Season lemon vinaigrette with pepper.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place hen pieces on another rimmed baking sheet. Bake until brown and cooked through, about 45 minutes.
Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add radicchio with marinade; sauté until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Serve hens and radicchio with vinaigrette.
This recipe yields 4 servings.