Crispy St. Germain Cucumber and Smoked Salmon "Tea Sandwiches"
The Local Palate, June/July 2016, page 50.
- 12 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled
- 3 ounces St. Germain liqueur
- 2 small radishes, shaved ultra thin
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce American Hackleback caviar
- (found in specialty food stores and fish markets)
- Tzatziki Sauce (recipe follows)
- Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 slicing cucumber, peeled and
- roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 6 sprigs fresh dill
- 1/2 cup aioli or mayonnaise
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Adapted from politicalavenue.com
1. Remove crust from bread. Using a rolling pin,
roll each piece of bread until wafer thin. Coat
bottom of large sauté pan with olive oil, and place
over low heat. Lay bread wafers in pan, making
sure they do not touch. Sear wafers until golden
brown on both sides. They will crisp more as
2. Using a peeler, thinly shave one cucumber into
wide strips the length of the cucumber, and let soak
in St. Germain for 20 minutes. Drain and reserve
3. Flake smoked salmon and place in mixing bowl
with olive oil, radish, and drained cucumber ribbons.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Slice second cucumber into ¼-inch-thick slices,
enough for 2 per wafer.
5. To assemble, drizzle 1 tablespoon of Tzatziki on
each wafer, then place 2 cucumber slices on top,
side by side. Carefully put smoked salmon
and cucumber ribbon mixture on top. Finish with
a scoop of caviar, and garnish with sprig of dill.
1. In a food processor, purée cucumber, lemon juice,
and garlic until almost smooth. Add crème fraîche
and dill, and process together.
2. Fold in aioli and season with salt and pepper.
Tzatziki should be smooth, but not quite as thick as
ranch dressing. If you need to balance the acidity,
add more lemon juice.
Yield: 4 servings
You'll also love
- Dr. Pepper Drumsticks 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Mini Broccoli Frittatas 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Broccoli &Hash Brown Casserole 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- SHRIMP BUZARA STYLE 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Sautéed Shrimp in Fish Sauce... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Pan Roasted Fish Fillets with Herb... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Couscous Salad with Cucumber, Red... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Salmon with Cucumber Salad & Dill... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)