Creole Redfish Court-bouillon
This recipe for Creole redfish court-bouillon builds flavor in layers, starting with roux and mirepoix, adding spices, tomatoes, sherry, fish stock and grilled fish.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 5 cups fish stock or shrimp stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 (6 ounce) redfish or trout fillets, cut in 1/2 on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, as needed
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence, or other Creole seasoning
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups cooked long-grain white rice, for servings
- Fresh parsley leaves or green onion, chopped, for serving
Adapted from emerils.com
Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the flour, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly with a large wooden spoon, to make a roux the color of peanut butter, about 15 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the garlic and bay leaves, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
Place the tomato paste in a small bowl and whisk in the sherry to blend. Add to the pot, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the stock, whisking to blend. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the sugar, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes. Whisk in the butter, bit by bit, until incorporated. Remove from the heat, taste, and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Preheat a grill to medium.
To grill the fish, brush the fish all over with the olive oil and season the fish with the Essence. Grill the fish, basting occasionally with additional olive oil for about 8 minutes. Turn the fish and grill briefly on the second side. Return the court bouillon to the heat, add the fish, and simmer about 3 to 4 minutes longer.
To serve, spoon 1/2 cup of rice into the center of six large soup bowls and divide the red fish court-bouillon equally among them. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley or green onion.
You'll also love
- Aromatic Vietnamese Lemongrass... 5/5 (4 Votes)
- Shrimp, Cabbage, and Carrot... 5/5 (4 Votes)
- Sausage-and-Cheddar Muffins 5/5 (4 Votes)
- Shrimp and Asparagus Stir-Fry 5/5 (4 Votes)
- Green Wheatgrass Smoothie 5/5 (4 Votes)
- FISH - Grilled Fish Stuffed With... 5/5 (4 Votes)
- Plank-Grilled Salmon with Beurre... 5/5 (4 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Macaroni & Cheese 4.6/5 (40 Votes)