Souffléed Apple Pancake
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 baking apples (1 pound), peeled and cut into 8 wedges each and the wedges cut in half
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Maple syrup, for serving (optional)
Preheat the oven to 500°. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar and salt. Gradually mix in the milk, eggs and 1 tablespoon of oil.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet. Spread the apples in the pan, add the lemon juice and cinnamon and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Strain the batter through a sieve over the apples, pressing with a spatula. Bake the pancake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are puffed and browned and the center is set. Serve immediately, with maple syrup.