Quick and Easy King Ranch Chicken Casserole
From: Southern Living Rotisserie Chicken Cookbook. Oxmoor House, 2012.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (10-oz.) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Mexican-style chili powder
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 cups (12 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups coarsely crumbled lime-flavored white corn tortilla chips
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 90mins
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 6 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add bell pepper and garlic, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in Chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup, and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes.
2. Layer half of chicken in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with half of soup mixture and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Cover with half of corn tortilla chips. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
3. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
TIP: Substitute 1 tsp chili powder and 1/8 tsp ground red pepper for Mexican-style chili powder, if desired.