Forever Crisp Dill Pickles
- 4 lbs. cucumbers
- 2 cloves of garlic for each jar, peeled
- 1 0r 2 fresh sprigs of dill for each jar
- 4 or 5 black peppercorns for each jar
- 1 small fresh hot cayenne pepper for each jar (optional)
- 2 quarts of water
- 2 quarts of white vinegar
- scant 1/2 c. canning salt
Adapted from cooks.com
Soak freshly picked cucumbers in a tub of ice water overnight. (Do not use old cucumbers of the pickles will be rubbery). Wipe the pickles dry. Pack sterilized jars with several sprigs of dill, one clove of garlic at the top and bottom and the cucumbers.
Boil the 2 quarts water, 2 quarts vinegar and the salt for 5 minutes. Pour the boiling brine over the cucumbers and adjust 2 piece canning lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Wait for about 3 weeks before using to allow the pickles to mellow.