Creamy Baked Polenta With Herbs And Green Onions
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups polenta (coarse cornmeal) (or yellow cornmeal)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter - (1/4 stick)
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup grated dry Jack cheese or freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour 6 cups water into 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Whisk polenta, salt, and pepper into water. Bake uncovered 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in parsley and thyme, then cream. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
Stir polenta to blend. Stir green onion mixture, cheese, and lemon peel into polenta. Continue to bake uncovered until polenta is creamy and liquid is completely absorbed, about 10 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes; serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.