Crab Cakes With Avocado Salad
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 cup finely-chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 8 ounces crabmeat well drained
- 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) see * Note
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 5 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 egg beaten to blend
- 2 small avocados peeled, pitted, and diced
* Note: Available at Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add 3/4 cup onions, ginger, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add cumin and tumeric, then 1/4 cup tomato; sauté 1 minute. Transfer to medium bowl and cool.
Add crab, 1/2 cup panko, 4 tablespoons cilantro, 3 teaspoons lime juice, chives, 1/2 teaspoon lime peel, and cayenne to onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in egg. Form into four 3- to 3 1/2-inch-diameter patties. Place 1 cup panko on plate. Coat crab cakes with crumbs pressing to adhere. Transfer to another plate. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)
Mix 1/4 cup onion, 1/4 cup tomato, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 2 teaspoons lime juice, and 1/2 teaspoon lime peel in medium bowl. Add avocados and toss to coat. Cover; chill up to 2 hours.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add crabcakes; cook until brown, about 3 minutes per side. Serve with avocado salad.
This recipe yields 4 servings.