Coconut Macaroon Bars
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter - (1 1/4 sticks) chilled, diced
- 1 large egg yolk plus
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - (1/2 stick) melted, cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 package sweetened flaked coconut - (7 oz)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13- by 9- by 2-inch metal baking pan with nonstick spray.
Blend 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in processor. Add diced butter and process, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 1 egg yolk and cream; blend until dough comes together in clumps.
Press dough evenly over bottom of prepared pan. Bake crust until pale golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to rack. Maintain oven temperature.
Beat 2 tablespoons flour, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3 eggs, melted butter and vanilla in medium bowl to blend. Beat in coconut. Pour filling over crust.
Bake dessert until golden brown on top and set in center, about 25 minutes. Cool in pan. Cut around pan sides to loosen edges. Cut into 24 bars.
This recipe yields 24 bars.