U.S. SENATE BEAN SOUP
- 1 lb dry Northern or Pea Beans, washed, but not presoaked
- 1 lb (approx) smoked ham hocks
- 2 onions, each the size of a plum, diced
- 4 ribs celery with leaves Minced
- 1/4 cup fresh minced parsley or 2 TB dry minced leaves
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and grated on large hole of vegetable grater
Into 14-cup Slow Cooker put beans, ham hocks, onions, celery, parsley, garlic, potatoes. Add just enough water that ingredients are submerged, to within 1-inch of rim of Slow Cooker. Cook covered on HI 4 hours, stirring often. Then on LOW for 15 hrs without stirring.
Freeze in small portions to thaw & warm within 4 months.
Makes 12 servings.