Chocolate-Orange Easter-Egg Truffles
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - (1 stick) room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier plus
- 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier (or other orange liqueur or orange juice)
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process cocoa)
Bring cream to simmer in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chocolate and stir just until melted and smooth. Add butter and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in Grand Marnier and orange peel. Pour mixture into 8- by 8- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Refrigerate until mixture is firm enough to shape, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
Line baking sheet with foil. Using scant 2 tablespoonfuls for each truffle, spoon 16 mounds of chocolate mixture onto prepared sheet. Using 2 serving teaspoons to form eggs and holding 1 teaspoon in 1 hand and second teaspoon in other hand, scoop 1 mound of chocolate from the first spoon to the second. Scoop chocolate from 1 spoon to the other several times, running spoon over surface of mounded chocolate to smooth oval as much as possible.
Using palms of hands, roll chocolate mound into egg shape, smoothing surface as much as possible (surface will not be completely smooth). Place on plate. Repeat with remaining chocolate mounds. Refrigerate chocolate eggs until firm, about 45 minutes.
Working in batches and using table knife or fingers, smooth surface of chocolate eggs again, if necessary. Chill until firm, about 15 minutes. Sift cocoa powder over chocolate eggs, covering completely. Cover and refrigerate. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
This recipe yields about 16.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (814 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (705 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Frozen Banana Bites 4.5/5 (272 Votes)
- Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing 4.5/5 (164 Votes)