Cranberry Dark Chocolate Holiday Pie
The combination of tart strawberries and bittersweet chocolate ganache will overwhelm your friends and family this holiday season.
- CRANBERRY TOPPING:
- 1 cup (7 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) cranberry juice
- 1 cup (6 ounces) dried cranberries
- 12-ounce package fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 3/4 cups (about 5 1/4 ounces) graham cracker crumbs (1 sleeve)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) confectioners' sugar or glazing sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) melted butter
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips or chopped semisweet chocolate
- 2/3 cup (5 3/8 ounces) heavy cream
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) diced walnuts or pecans
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 130mins
Toast nuts in a 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, and set aside.
Bring the sugar, salt, and cranberry juice to a boil. Stir in the dried cranberries, then the fresh or frozen berries. Simmer gently for 10 to 12 minutes, or until about half the berries have popped. Remove from the heat, and cool to room temperature.
You'll need about 15 ounces (a scant 2 cups) sauce for the pie; enjoy the remainder on its own.
Process the crackers, sugar, and melted butter in a food processor till crumbly and well combined. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for about 7 to 8 minutes, until it's set, but not brown. Remove from the oven and cool.
Put the chips and cream in a microwave-safe container, and heat for about 90 seconds. Remove from the microwave, and stir till the mixture becomes smooth and dark brown. You're simply making a basic ganache.
Spoon the hot ganache into the cooled crust, and sprinkle the toasted nuts on top. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, probably 2, till the ganache has firmed up. Once the ganache is set, top with the cranberry sauce.
**Resist the urge to use bittersweet chocolate; with the acidic tang of the cranberries, it's just too much. You want a dark chocolate that's noticeably sweet; most chocolate chips will be fine.
You'll also love
- Banana Peach Smoothie 5/5 (1 Votes)
- VOODOO BLACK BEAN SOUP 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Bacon-Wrapped Blackberry Pork Roast 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Spicy Beef & Broccoli 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Cranberry Walnut Stuffing 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies,... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chocolate Chip Cookies 5/5 (1 Votes)