Inside-Out Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- 4 T. butter, softened
- 8 slices of bakery Pullman bread
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced Swiss cheese, preferably Gruyere
- 8 oz. thinly sliced ham
- Dill pickle slices (optional)
- 2 T. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
1. Butter each slice of bread and sprinkle with Parm, pressing to help it adhere. Invert the slices onto a work surface, cheese side down.
2. Top 4 of the slices with the Swiss cheese, ham, and pickles.
3. Mix the mustard and preserves and spread on the remaining 4 slices of bread.
4. Close the sandwiches and griddle over moderate heat, turning until golden, crisp on the outside and melted inside, about 3 minutes. Cut in half, and serve right away.