Brownies With Cream Cheese Swirl
- FOR SWIRL:
- 3 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter - (1/4 stick) room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR BROWNIES:
- 6 ounces sweet baking chocolate chopped (such as Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Make Swirl: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter 8-inch square nonstick baking pan. Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in medium bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and beat until well blended. Beat in egg. Mix in flour and vanilla. Set mixture aside.
Make Brownies: Stir baking chocolate and butter in heavy small saucepan over low heat until smooth. Cool slightly. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs in large bowl until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Mix in flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in chocolate mixture and extracts. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
Spread half of chocolate batter (about 1 1/4 cups) in prepared pan. Using rubber spatula, spread cream cheese mixture over chocolate batter. Spoon remaining chocolate batter over top of cream cheese mixture. Using tip of knife, gently swirl through batter, forming marble design. Bake brownies until tester inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Cool brownies in pan on rack. Cut into squares.
This recipe yields 16.