Frankenmuth Chicken Noodle Soup
- 5-lbs cut-up chicken fryer parts
- 3 quarts water
- 3 carrots cut-up fine
- 1 large white onion, quartered
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 1 small bunch celery with leaves - diced
- 4 peppercorns or 1/2 tsp pepper
- Salt to taste
- Additional flavoring: For richer flavor, add 3 packets Sweet & Low or 2 tsp sugar. Season Salt or Mrs. Dash may also be added to taste.
Put everything into an accommodating kettle. Bring to boil. Boil 1 minute & reduce to gentle simmer. Cover kettle with lid. Simmer 2 hours. Stir it occasionally.
With slotted spoon, remove chicken & vegetables from the broth. Dice the white meat & set aside. Discard skin & bones.
Dice some of the carrots to your liking & set aside. Discard the rest. Put broth through coffee-filter-lined sieve, catching cleared broth in another kettle the same size. Chill till all fat comes to top & is solid & can be remove. Return to heat. Add chicken & carrots. Bring to boil.
PREPARE NOODLES—Mound 1 cup flour on a board. Make well in center. Add 1 egg to that well, with 1/4 tsp salt & 1 TB cold water. Gradually work into a smooth dough. Knead till smooth, adding enough more flour to keep from being sticky. Wrap dough in waxed paper. Let stand 1 hour at room tern.
On floured surface roll dough paper thin. Roll up jelly roll style & slice into thin strips, unwrapping into long noodles. Snip into shorter lengths. Drop into simmering soup. Allow 18 to 22 minutes simmering approximately—or till noodles are tender to the bite (al dente').
Serve soup piping hot. Refrigerate leftover soup, tightly covered, to rewarm in 4 or 5 days. Freeze to thaw & reheat in 4 months.
Makes 12 servings.
NOTE: For additional flavoring in the broth, add 4 or 5 packets of Herb Ox Chicken Broth Powder - or 2 TB low-salt chicken bouillon powder.
You'll also love
- Bacon Guacamole Chicken Bombs 4.8/5 (24 Votes)
- Banana Pecan Brûlée Oatmeal For... 5/5 (4 Votes)
- Crispy Parmesan & Onion Crusted... 4.8/5 (24 Votes)
- 7 Day Diet Fat Burning Cabbage... 4.3/5 (61 Votes)
- Chicken and Wild Rice 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Swanson Sensational Chicken Noodle... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Chicken Noodle Soup 5/5 (2 Votes)