Old Fashioned Butter Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract2 eggs
- "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup Hershey's cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar (confectioners' sugar)
- 1/3 cup milk (plus an additional few drops to make a nice consistency)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease and flour two 8 inch x 2 inch baking pans and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Add butter, milk, and vanilla. With a hand mixer, beat for 2 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl.
Add eggs and beat for 2 minutes more.
Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing equally between the pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven.
Cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then turn cakes out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Frost with your favorite frosting. I used my favorite chocolate frosting, the one on the back of the Hersey's cocoa can.
"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating on medium speed to spreading consistency. Add more milk if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.