Classic Potatoes Au Gratin
Potato side dishes are perfect for all kinds of holiday dinners and potlucks, so you will get a lot of use out of this recipe. Add it to your Thanksgiving menu, Christmas menu, Easter menu - you name it! It will likely be requested often.
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced into medium thin slices (Russet potatoes work well)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, cubed or sliced
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 135mins
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and add flour, salt and pepper. Pour in the milk and bring to a boil. Stir frequently till thickened. Set aside.
Lightly butter a large casserole (3 1/2 to 5 qt.). Preheat oven to 350°F.
Layer one quarter of the sliced potatoes, 1/4 of the onion, 1/4 of the cheese and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat the next layer.
Then, on top of the second layer, pour half the white sauce over (be a little reserved cuz you want the majority of the white sauce on top of the finished casserole). Then, again, repeat the next layer with potatoes, cheese, onion, salt and pepper. Repeat the final layer with same.
Pour the remaining white sauce over the top, making sure you cover all. Sprinkle the final product with salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
Then, remove the cover and bake for another hour. Don't worry if it gets a little dark on top.
You'll also love
- Schweinebraten – German Pork... 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Bread/Fruit: Apple Cinnamon Loaf 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Potatoes with Onions & Beef Broth 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Zucchini Bread 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Cheese, Bacon Potatoes 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Grape Salad 4.5/5 (12 Votes)