Poppy Seed Whole Grain Waffles
A waffle recipe using 100% whole wheat flour...
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups milk mixed with 2 tablespoons vinegar, set to curdle for ten minutes)
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
- scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 3 large eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled a bit
Adapted from wholefoodkids.blogspot.com
1. Mix the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Mix the wet ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Combine all ingredients in the large bowl, and spoon about 1/2 cup-fulls into preheated waffle maker. Don't open the waffle maker to check on them for at a couple of minutes, letting the waffle form a crust.
4. Cook until deep golden brown. To keep them from getting soggy while the subsequent waffles are cooking, try placing them on a baking rack in the oven at 125 degrees F until they are ready to be served.