Kittencal's Baked Potato Casserole (Recipezaar)
"This may be served hot as a casserole or reduce the melted butter amount down to 2 tablespoons and serve as a cold potato salad, either way it's delicious! --- If you are serving hot as a casserole I strongly recommend to have the potatoes cooled to room temperature before using in this recipe or use cold potatoes that have been cooked a day ahead, I have even made this using about 5 cups of thawed frozen hash browns, the complete casserole may be assembled and refrigerated for up to 2 days ahead before baking although it's so delicious cold it might not even make it to the oven, and also makes a large amount which makes this perfect dish for potlucks --- if you are baking as a casserole use only mayonnaise such as Hellman's using salad dressing will not be as good."
- 5 lbs potatoes, cooked and cubed (about 9-10 medium potatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise (Hellman's is best for this, do not use salad dressing)
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste, or use white salt)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4-5 green onions, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, finely cubed (or coarsley shredded)
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or to taste)
- 2 cups finely chopped cooked ham (or use cooked chopped chicken or turkey) (optional)
TO SERVE HOT AS A CASSEROLE
grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish (or use a casserole dish that will hold the mixture).
Set oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream and melted butter, garlic powder, seasoned salt and black pepper until well combined.
Mix in green onion and yellow onion.
Add in the cooked cubed potatoes, cubed cheese and ham (if using) mix with a large spatula until well combined.
Transfer/spread the mixture to prepared casserole dish.
At this point you may cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours until ready to bake.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Remove from oven and sprinkle the grated cheddar on top; return to oven and bake 5-8 minutes more or until the cheese has melted.
TO SERVE AS A COLD POTATO SALAD
make as stated in steps 3-5 reducing the melted butter to 2 tablespoons.
Place in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or more before serving.