Ginger and Fig Golden Beet Loaf
- For the goat's milk cheese cream:
- 3 cups grated yellow beets.
- 2 cups granulated sugar, divided.
- Unsalted butter, for greasing pan.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated nutmeg.
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped candied ginger.
- 1/3 cup chopped dried fig.
- 3 large eggs.
- Grated zest of 2 large lemons.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 cup goat's cheese.
- 1/3 cup cream cheese.
- 2 tablespoons honey.
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme.
- 1/4 cup 35 per cent cream.
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds.
- 1 fig thinly sliced.
Adapted from thefoodnetwork.com
Preheat the oven to 350° F. In a small mixing bowl, mix the grated beets with 1/4 cup sugar.
Butter the loaf pan, line with parchment paper, leaving some to hang over the sides, and butter the parchment.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, poppy seeds, dried figs, and chopped ginger.
In a separate large bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 3/4 cups sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla until well blended. Beat in the olive oil gradually, whisking it in until it's thoroughly incorporated.
Using a spatula, gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well incorporated, with no remaining white spots. Working with a handful of beets at a time, use your hands to wring out all of the excess moisture. When all of the beets have been pressed, add it to the batter, and stir it in gently until evenly incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 80 to 85 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Cool the bread in the pan for about 20 minutes. When the loaf is cooled, slice the loaf into 1 inch-thick slices.
To make the goat's cheese cream: Place the goat cheese, cream cheese, thyme and honey into a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Whip the cheese until light and fluffy. Turn the speed to low and pour in the 35 per cent cream. Continue to whip until all the cream is incorporated.
Spread the cream over the loaf slices and sprinkle on the pumpkin seeds. Garnish the loaf with the thinly sliced fig and serve.
Yields one 9-inch loaf.
You'll also love
- Macaroni & Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Roast Chicken Thighs With Jerk... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Citrus Mashed Plantains 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Paleo Chinese Eggplant 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Chocolate-Dipped Figs Finished... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Veggies, Bacon, and... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Beets and Kale Salad 4.6/5 (5 Votes)