- 2 (1-ounce) slices rye bread
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (8-ounce) carton fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup. Place breadcrumbs in a medium bowl; set aside.
Place chicken in food processor, and pulse until ground. Add chicken, 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, pepper, and egg white to breadcrumbs in bowl; stir until combined. Shape mixture into 16 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs; cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove meatballs from pan. Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, chicken broth, and flour to pan, stirring with a whisk until combined. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in sour cream, and return the meatballs to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 10 minutes or until meatballs are done and sauce is thick. Sprinkle with parsley
Tip: Substitute white or whole wheat bread for the rye to bind the meatballs