GREAT NORTHERN BEAN VEGETABLE SOUP
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, chopped (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (approximately 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4” thick half moons (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 large red potato, peeled and cut into 1/2” dice (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable (or chicken) broth, divided
- 1 can or pouch (15.5 ounces) organic Green Valley Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pasta such as elbow macaroni or ditalini
Heat the olive oil in a 4–5 quart saucepan over medium heat until hot.
Add the celery, onions and ½ teaspoon kosher salt and sauté until soft but not brown, 4–6 minutes.
Add the garlic, dried thyme, dried basil and ground black pepper; sauté until fragrant, 1 minute.
Add the carrots, potatoes and bay leaf, stirring to incorporate.
Add 2 cups of the broth, partially cover, and simmer until the vegetables are just barely tender, 10–20 minutes.
Add the great northern beans and the remaining 3 cups of broth.
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes to meld the flavors.
Stir in the fresh basil and taste, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
To serve, place ¼ cup cooked pasta in each soup bowl then ladle in the soup, Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, if desired. Serve hot.
Serve with bread or a simple grilled meat for a heartier meal.