- Serves 4 (about 24 pieces)
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Adapted from thekitchn.com
1. Slice the eggplant: Trim the stem from the eggplant. Use a vegetable peeler to make long, thin strips of eggplant by peeling vertically down the length of the eggplant, turning the eggplant a quarter turn every 4 to 5 strips. Discard any strips that are primarily peel. Discard the very seedy innards of the eggplant. Lay the strips out in a single layer on a baking sheet or large cutting board.
2. Season the eggplant: Combine the tamari or soy sauce, smoked paprika, and liquid smoke in a small bowl. Brush the eggplant slices on one side with the mixture.
3. Fry the eggplant: Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering, about 5 minutes. Add 6 strips of the eggplant, seasoned-side up, and fry until crispy, 2 minutes per side. Some pieces will brown quickly, and others will have soft spots.
4. Drain the eggplant bacon: Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat frying the remaining strips. Eat immediately. Eggplant bacon is best eaten the day it is made.
Per serving, based on 4 servings. (% daily value)
Calories 152 Fat 13.8 g (21.2%) Saturated 1.9 g (9.6%) Carbs 7.2 g (2.4%) Fiber 3.6 g (14.6%) Sugars 4.1 g Protein 1.7 g (3.3%) Sodium 254.3 mg (10.6%)
You'll also love
- Key lime pie 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Rhubarb coffee cake 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Carrots with Grapes 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Chorizo Breakfast Taquitos 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Pan Roasted Beef Tenderloin 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Grilled Eggplant Salad with Feta,... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Pork Loin with Hazelnut Brown... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Eggplant Rollatini 4/5 (1 Votes)