Mediterranean Tuna Pasta
- 2 5-ounce cans of albacore tuna (preferably packed in olive oil), drained*
- 1 tomato, cored, cut in half crosswise and squeezed of excess juice, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup pitted, kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp capers, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (more if you are using tuna packed in water)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound fusilli pasta, dry
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
2 Stir drained tuna with tomato, olives, onion, parsley, capers, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper: Place drained tuna in a medium bowl. Stir with a fork to break up the largest chunks of tuna. Add the tomato, olives, red onion, parsley, capers, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
3 Boil pasta until al dente: When the pasta water comes to a boil, add the pasta and boil, uncovered, on a rolling boil until al dente (cooked through, but still a little firm to the bite). Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
4 Add pasta to tuna mixture, sprinkle with Mozz: Drain the pasta and immediately add the pasta to the tuna mixture.