- 3 1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided $
- 5 teaspoons water, divided
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic $
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cooking spray $
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large sea scallops (about 12 ounces) $
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 lime wedges
1. Combine 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1 tablespoon water, fish sauce, and next 4 ingredients (through red pepper) in a small bowl.
2. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons water in a small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking 2 minutes or until golden (do not stir). Remove from heat; carefully add fish sauce mixture, stirring constantly. Keep warm.
3. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle black pepper over scallops; add scallops to pan. Cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Add sauce; toss well. Sprinkle with mint. Serve with lime.
Wide rice noodles and sugar snap peas: Steam 6 ounces sugar snap peas 2 minutes or until crisp-tender; place in bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil to peas; toss well. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds.