Rosemary-Braised Lamb Shanks
- 6 meaty lamb shanks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
Adapted from lecreuset.com
Season the lamb with salt and pepper.
Heat the olive oil in the 5 QT. braiser over medium-high heat. Add the shanks and cook until evenly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer shanks to a platter.
Return the skillet to medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and garlic. Cook until the onions are browned, 5 - 7 minutes. Increase the heat to high and stir in the wine, scraping the bottom and sides to loosen any browned bits. Bring to a boil and add the tomatoes, chicken stock, beef stock, rosemary and thyme. Return the shanks and juices that have collected to the skillet. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low, or place the braiser in a 325°F oven (or a temperature that will just maintain a simmer).
Your Le Creuset cookware gives you two options: cook on the range top or cook in the oven. Whatever method you choose, cook, covered, at a simmer until the meat is tender, about 2 1/2 hours. If you chose the oven method return the pan to the stovetop, remove the cover and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook until the liquid begins to thicken, 20 - 30 minutes. Transfer the shanks to a serving platter and cook the liquid until thick, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over the shanks and serve.
You'll also love
- Tender Slow-Cooker Mushroom Lamb... 4.2/5 (49 Votes)
- Beef Ravioli with Bacon Butter... 4.1/5 (16 Votes)
- Lemon Garlic Pasta 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Peachy Marinade (for Pork Chops) 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Leg of Lamb in the Slow Cooker... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Braised Eggplant & Tomatoes 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Greek-Style Braised Lamb Shanks 5/5 (1 Votes)
- MUSTARD-BRAISED CHICKEN WITH... 0/5 (0 Votes)