Brown Rice Penne with Eggplant
- 1 (16-ounce) package brown rice penne (or ziti)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cubed eggplant (about 1 small)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (26-ounce) jar fat-free pasta sauce (such as Muir Glen Organic)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) preshredded Italian-blend or Parmesan cheese, divided
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add eggplant and onion; sauté 8 minutes or until onion is browned. Stir in garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and pasta sauce; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
Toss eggplant mixture with pasta. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese; toss gently. Top evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Italian Lemon Cookies (Anginetti) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Wegman's Beef Burgundy 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sunny's Roasted Rosemary and Thyme... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Butternut Squash Soup with Crispy... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- macaroni salad (Cooked Dressing) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Easy One-Pan Garlic Chicken Pesto... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mario Batali's Penne all'... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Best Eggplant Parm So Far 0/5 (0 Votes)