Farfalle With Creamy Mushroom Gorgonzola Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 ounces creamy gorgonzola, cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb assorted mushroom, chopped
- 3 ⁄4 frozen peas, thawed
- 16 ounces farfalle pasta (Barilla)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Melt butter in a 2 qt saucepan over medium heat.
When the butter starts to sizzle, add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Gradually whisk in the milk.
Bring the sauce to a simmer.
Simmer for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
Remove from the heat.
Add the Gorgonzola and stir until melted.
Season the sauce with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper(if using),to taste.
Set aside and cover to keep warm.
Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat.
Add the mushrooms and sauté until tender and golden, about 12 minutes.
Stir in the peas.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook farfalle according to pkg directions and drain.
Transfer the pasta to a large bowl.
Add the Gorgonzola sauce and mushroom mixture, and toss to coat.
Season the pasta with salt and pepper, if needed and top with chopped chives.